Thursday, July 13, 2006

Good old days - Part 1.1

Yes, I will continue some more with first year memories :-p Thanks to my buddies I now remember some more things which I can write about :-D

There are a few more characters that need to be introduced as well as mention some of the "amazing" teachers we had (can't really call them professors but will refer to them as profs since itz easier to write! :-p). I shall start with the dude who was the roll number before me - Gautam Tolat aka GT. He was one heck of a dude, a fellow gujju and a big fan of Hitler!! He was in almost all my practical groups for 4 yrs and I used to have some really interesting conversations with him :-D

Besides GT, there was a certain Sarita Tayshete and of course Subbuda! And in the first year, in Chemistry (if i remember correctly) there was Julu aka Aunty aka Ms. S! In these particular practicals, there was julu, sarita, subbuda and myself. And it was one comical group we had. I was then the very silent dude who still had trouble talkint to girls (kinda hard to believe for people who know me now ;-)) , julu who loved to talk (as i was to discover much later!) , ms. tayshete who was a weirdo like most people in sakec and subbuda who was also kinda like me. And in most practicals, the 2 boys would religiously do the pracs (just joking!) while the 2 girlz wud just stand n chit-chat!!

And since I have mentioned Chem, how can one forget the prof - S.N Singh! Still can't forget how he would stand in the class with a chalk in his palms and talking about vaater!! And shouting at big g for coughin in the class!! and asking the class to note down what he was saying as if it was some great gyan he was giving us!!

Then we had the 2 mechanics prof - J P SIngh - a quiet dude whom you could barely hear and Pawar - whose favorite dialog (as per my observations) was "Take 3 readings" - the take spoken in a very nasal tone! The mech lab had instruments which resembled the ones Einstein /Newton themselves must have used for their own experiments!

The Math dept was the best dept with Mrs. Hegde being the best teacher of SAKEC. Dahake came distant second and was another amazing character. One of his best one-liners was when he told some dude "You were born like this only!!" was absolutely hilarious when he had said it :-D
We had the amazing Krisboy who would do a wonderful mimicry of him and some of the other profs!

And who can forget the Commn Skills prof Mrs. N. D'souza! The only silver lining in an otherwise dull existence :-p A course which was the most boring to attend was made worthwhile thanks only to her :-D Too bad she left after a year!

Oh and we had the great M.B. Shaw (ex prof VJTI!) who would make us come at some unearthly hour in the morning to learn engg drawing! I have already desrcibed how "good" i was in this one and shall not venture there, but this dude thought he was some God doing us lowly mortals a favour by coming all the way to Chembur to teach us drawing. Frankly I don't think we cared 2 hoots for who he was :-D And his famous dialogue would be "Agar bhagwan bhi sikhane ko aaye, to bhi Shah and Anchor ke bachhe kabhi time pe nahi aayenge!" :-D There were 2 side kicks - a Khan and I think Ramesh who would teach drawing and Ramesh also doubled up as the Workshop prof! I think we had made some sofa leg and some metallic crap as part of the workshop course and had to write some 100's of pages of nonsense fulfill the requirement! Of course, we had the ever dependent Chin bhai who did most of the drawings for me :-D

Somewhere in between we had the sports week, where I think our class somehow reached the semis (or was it finals??) of the cricket tournament and in classic Indian team style flattered to decieve :-p Of course the cricket being played was box cricket which had some really stupid rules! But we had the most amazing tug -o-war team (girlz of course!!) led admirably by the captain - Rash whose strength and violent nature me and more so Suren were to discover during the later years :-D And I don't recollect who the others were in that team but I think they were the undisputed champs for the 4 years that we were there!

Coming back to Verve , the college fest, thanks to Neta for reminding that he had participate in the singing contest (solo and duet with Ms. Nair) and I think didn't win?? But he did win Dumb C along with Suren and someone else. Suren had also won the quiz with AK aka Bond (or was it in some later year??) All in all for the first year, we had shown major enthu in participating and winning quite a few of the events!

I think now I definitely do not remember any more about the first year and will write about the 2nd year next :-)

-uv.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

dude u fgt abt me winning the coveted and most sought after mr. shah and anchor title :) at verve in first year !!!!

Maven said...

yeah! and singh taunting u with yes Mr. SAKE!!

shows how "easy" it was to win :-P

Anonymous said...

oh half the credit for his win goes to me!

-S